Top 5 Popular Causes Of Car Engine Vibration

Top 5 Popular Causes Of Car Engine Vibration
4.9 (98.89%) 18 votes

Car engine vibration could be the result of a number of problems. Though it is assumed that the vibration is originated from the engine,axles in reality might be the real cause. If you are driving an used car, the problem probably occurs more frequently and here is the time to know more about its common causes and find out solutions. Here we discuss in detail 5 causes of engine vibration. Read them carefully to see if you are experiencing one of the symptoms that is causing car engine vibration.

Popular Causes Of Car Engine Vibration

1# Engine Vibration Cause: The Crankshaft Damper

causes of engine vibration
Some engine problems may cause your car vibration.

If you feel the engine shaking, the crankshaft damper can be a factor to consider when diagnosing engine vibration causes. Indeed, the main duty of this component is to decrease vibration. In diesel engines, its use is more extensive. If there is a chance that it is defected or has stopped working for good, your engine will shake even harder. You should contact a mechanic whenever you face this problem.

2# Engine Vibration Cause: Faulty Engine Mount

Faulty engine amount
Faulty engine amount is another cause of engine vibration

This is another cause of engine vibration. This component keeps the engine attached to the chassis. Besides, it also reduces the vibration of a running engine. This part doesn’t just get damaged. Reckless driving can be the reason behind it. Similarly, you should see a mechanic to mend your car.

>> Best deals for you:  Toyota Prius 2011 for sale,  Subaru Forester 2008 for sale

3# Engine Vibration Cause: Spark Plug Issues

spark plus issues
Spark plug might be damaged and need to be removed

If there is a problem with your vehicle’s spark plugs, the engine will vibrate more than usual. Spark plug removal can be done at home if you have all the tools and knowledge to accomplish the task.

4# Engine Vibration Cause: Extreme Weather

engine vibration
Car shaking in cold weather is very common

In a frosty weather, the engine vibrates more than what is normal. No extra measures need to be taken if this problem solves on its own when the car is being driven in normal weather. In a cold weather, the engine cannot run on its optimum level, so vibration increases.

5# Engine Vibration Cause: Car Axle

Car Axle
Car Axle should be the reason which the vibration comes from.

Oftentimes it seems like the engine shaking problem is rooted in the engine itself, whereas in reality, it is the axles that need to be taken care of. When your car is in a collision, the axles can be damaged, even when there is no apparent sign of damage. So, you should get a mechanic involved if you are experiencing increased vibration, right after a collision.

These are some of the common engine vibration problems that might be plaguing your driving experience, it’d better to be looking out for one of these 5 causes of car engine vibration and find out what’s the exact reason. Another great suggestion for you to avoid this problem is choosing a great car with fuel-efficiency, reliability and affordable price from our quality used cars list.

How To Fix Car Engine Vibration

To solve this problem easier, check the video to see how they fix the engine vibration

Low level transmission fluid, tires issues, or brakes error can all cause car engine shaking. But here we will talk about cylinder, which is usually the main reason causing vibration to your engine. Here are the steps you should follow:

Step 1: Spot The Problem Source

engine vibration
This is the key tips for all car owners

In order to fix any problem, you need to find its source, and it is the same with cylinder misfire. The easiest way for drivers is to check the diagnostic trouble codes. The checking can help you determine whether your cylinders have one, multiple or no misfire at all. OBD-II scanner is an useful tool for this task which can be sold at any car parts stores. Easy as it sounds, yet this first step will save you a lot of time and efforts, rather than chasing dead-end solution.

It is the best if you find your cylinders having no problem at all. However, if they really did have misfires, the reasons usually come from one of four systems: control sensors, fuel supply, air supply or the computer. Drivers can check the amount of air, fuel, or the failure in ignition.

Step 2: Analyze The Problem

engine vibration
Analyzing which type of problem you have is very important

Understanding the problem from the beginning can be really helpful in this step, since different problems have different way to solve: If you get single-cylinder misfires, it is often caused by a failure in the engine. However, random multiple misfires from the cylinder can usually be caused by the outside sources, rather than by the engine itself.  Last but not least, mechanical failure and unbalanced rotating assembly causes no misfire code.

Single-Cylinder Misfires

The culprits for this problem are usually fuel injector problems or failures in ignition. The tip for drivers here is to check spark plugs, ignition coil and plug wires. If the cylinder’s coil is broken, it is quite easy to determine and repair. However, many engines use one coil to power two cylinders, so if that single coil has any problem, both cylinders are mostly die as well.

Also, if you get a lean condition notification diagnostic code, you most likely to have a failure fuel injector.

Random Multiple Misfires

Many drivers are not knowing this, but problems which affect the engine entirely like this one are usually resulted by the “engine support” systems like: air intake, fuel supply or electronics systems. A dirty airflow sensor, sensor failure and vacuum leaking air can be potential culprits. Of course, air restrictions in the intake can cause vibrations for your automobile, as well.

>> Looking for a quality cheap used car from Japan, click here <<

Mechanical Failures

Problems with camshaft, damaged head gasket, broken piston ring,… are mechanic problems, and they often make your car shaky through cylinder misfires. If you get no misfire at all, there is high chance that you have an unbalanced rotating assembly, causing engine shaking. Many engines use balance shafts or harmonic balancer to reduce car engine shaking, so if you have one, check it out, since it might be your source of shaking problem.

Step 3: Replace Damaged Car Parts

engine vibration
Removing the damaged part to delete the vibrating

Understood the condition of your beloved car, it is time to remove the damaged parts. New drivers are recommended to go for a car repair shop, but if you want to take care the automobile by yourself, here is the tool list that you might need:

• Ratchet Wrench
  • Screwdriver
  • Engine Pulling A-Frame
  • Mallet
  • Jack

We will now cover up the most common problem with car engine shaking: Vacuum leak, which makes idling slower and damage the engine along with gas mileage.

The sign of awareness for this case is the cracks and holes on the vacuum hoses. Open the trunk to locate the vacuum system, and we will find the vacuum hoses right in the middle. Remember to check the hoses carefully to make sure it is the real problem. Then remove the damaged vacuum hose and set aside for a while.

After the examination, vacuum lines are the next target to remove. The lines is inside vacuum hose which was taken earlier. In cold temperatures, the vacuum lines can be damaged and shattered, which could create leaks or be broken. The only solution for that is to install the new ones right after this.

Also remember to wear gloves and eye wear to protect yourself.

Frequent Asked Questions About Car Engine Vibration

There are countless reasons for the engine shaking, but these problems are the most potential criminals:
  • Imbalanced Wheels
  • Misaligned Tire
  • Brake Issues
  • Engine Problems
  1. Eddie Baliawe says

Do you know why my engine is so hot.. Radiator is function well

1. Moses mosonik says

first check the oil level,check if the water pump is functioning and if you are warm countries like kenya thermostat is the main cause

2. Moses says

My car over heats after a long drive to a point i have to wait it to cool down even for six hours

2. Niwamanya Ishmael says

thank you , i can now know why my car engine is vibrating

3. Johnson Palmer says

Thank you so much for the note. I’m not a mechanic but at least I understand what happens when my car encounter such problems.

1. Trang Tran says

Thank you for sharing your comment.

4. Nelson Guma says

I have a similar problem with my car. I will follow your tips to diagnose the problem. Thank you for sharing the tips. I appreciate

Thank you. We will provide more useful information like this. Stay tuned

1. Khuong says

I have 2002 sienna I feel the car Shake at red light can you tell me why please

2. Khuong says

I have 2002 sienna I feel the car Shake at red light can you tell me why please
        The van drives fine been 2 years

5. David Mwale says

This is fantastic information. Thank you for sharing.

1. Trang Tran says

We are happy to receive your comments. Please share with your friends so they can enjoy this article, too.

1. Jumbe Warioba says

My car also have such problems, engine hot and some times vibration, its Toyota Rav4 3s help please.

1. Trang Tran says

Thank you for contacting Car From Japan. However, we cannot answer your problem because there are many things we need to see at your car. I suggest you bring the car to a local mechanical shop to solve your problem.

2. Shahbaz says

Hello sir how r u ?
        I need ur help to solve my problem abt my car. My car is a Toyota mark x 2005. When I drive it’s going good but the problem is, when I stop my car, I can feel like the car hit something. It means when go first gear neutral then I feel something hit. I already change my transmission complete n oil but it’s still same. Do u know any solution for my car problem pls? I’ll wait for ur reply

6. Goodluck Lucas says

thanks for the usefull infomation

Thank you. We will provide more useful information like this. Stay tuned

7. brian oporia says

Thanks for the updates my engine vibrates on idle and low speed but when I drive a little faster the vibration stops what’s the cause of that

U welcome

8. Masoud Moshi says

Thank you for your belated knowledge that you share with us now I know the reason for my engine to vibrate previously I thought it was because of low silence

9. Elly Mwakitalima says

My car vibrates only when is not moving, when is in silent, thanks for this.

Thank you. We will provide more useful information like this. Stay tuned

10. Polycarp magata says

I took my car to a mechanic so that we could replace casket and rings as my car was smoking so much.This of course involved opening the entire engine. Once everything was replaced I started experiencing those vibrations I took the car back and looked the plugs but since then my car has never been the same more so in the morning when I start the engine but when the engines runs for some minutes the vibrations end. What could be the cause of this vibration. Thanks for your advices.

1. Trang Tran says

Arigatou. Thank you. Your comments encourage us a lot.

11. Obuya says

Very good information to vehicle owners or drivers.

1. Trang Tran says

We are glad that you like the article. Don’t forget to share with your friends!

1. Jj says

Am having a problem with toyota nadia, when starting engine there’s a sound i hear at the first then it stops again.it sound like gogogo then it stops.what could be the cause?

12. Willie Pitakomoki says

Thank you for sharing this fanstastic information.

Thank you. We will provide more useful information like this. Stay tuned

13. tovio says

I have a 1996 Honda integra zc 1600 engine. And I have been having a vibrating problem for about two years now I changed all the mount on the car new plugs and am still having the problem

14. Nelson G. W. says

A very informative piece, thanks for keeping us informed

1. Trang Tran says

Arigatou. Thank you. Your comments encourage us a lot.

15. JASPAL SINGH says

I have Toyota nadia while driving some time my excelator padel doesn’t work then I switch off engine after a minute I start it work my mechanic change the fuel pump in tank change fuel filter even clean throttle but still problem is there

16. Besa Roston says

Thanx for the knowledge u are putn in us i appreciate continue giving us this knowledge

Thank you. We will provide more useful information like this. Stay tuned

17. Andrew says

Keep it up it educative analysis. Thanks alot.

1. Trang Tran says

Arigatou. Thank you. Your comments encourage us a lot.

18. Sitali muleta says

Me my car’s footbrake doesn’t go off what could be the problem caldina2000 make

1. Trang Tran says

Thank you for contacting Car From Japan. However, we cannot answer your problem because there is many things we need to see at your car. I suggest you to bring the car to a local mechanical shop o solve your problem.

19. Issa Lyson Allie says

My is misfiring when am doing below 60,above that the firing is normal,can cruise up to 160km/h

20. Issa Lyson Allie says

Mine is misfiring when am doing below 60,above that the firing is normal,can cruise up to 160km/h

You got a point!

21. paul says

What kind of oil should I use for toyota brevis jcg10 model 2003

1. paul says

What kind of oil should I use for toyota brevis jcg10 model 2003

22. jestone says

Nice

1. Trang Tran says

We are glad that you like the article. Don’t forget to share with your friends!

23. tembo eric says

This knowledge you are sharing with us ,we appreciate it very much,pliz kip updating us thanks.

1. Trang Tran says

Arigatou. Thank you. Your comments encourage us a lot.

24. Fedha keonard says

Hi,I have a major vibration on my car,when I engage the first gear ie.gear 1 and 2,and when in a slow motion I get a tough/huge vibration that almost wrecks the car,but once in motion the rest of the gears perform well including reverse gear,what could be the problem

25. Paul. says

Thanx very much for the wonderful explanation.Now am able to diagnose my car.

26. Chris Igella says

How can I get details about the Toyota Levin Apex Twin Cam 2.0 model 1994?

27. Anthony says

How do you change language in a radio settings from Japanese to English?

28. DENNIS YANDI says

This is useful and helpful tips, one time my car had vibration and after reading your advice here car from Japan I checked engine mount and found it was worn out and fixing it, know very ok. Am helping many mechanical issues following your useful tips. Continue being useful to us who are car users.

29. David says

Engine vibration can come from the center rubber.

30. David says

The engine vibration also can come from the ‘center rubber’

31. David says

The engine vibration also can come from ‘center bearing’ also called ‘center rubber’

32. Shahbaz says

Hello sir
    I really need ur help abt my car problem. My car is a Toyota Mar x 2005. The car is good wen I drive but the only problem is, when I make a first gear neutral, I can feel the car hit something but it’s nothing hit. In other words, when the car tried to stop then the same problem occur. I already changed transmission complete n also the oil but it’s still same, nothing change. I really need ur help to solve my car problem pls. I’ll wait for ur reply. Thanks

33. Clavel says

Shahbaz, You need to check the engine mountains well. Im not a mechanic but through experience low gears have got power to shake like you bump into something when it changes. Experts may advice well…

34. muhammad zubair says

i have a vitz model 2005 car having 3 cylinder engine is a problem when it drew for 0ne hour when it switch off it will not start for half hour after one hour it will start automatically i have change the battery . generator.kindly need your help

35. Boniface Shimenga says

My vehicle Toyota Vitz 1SZ engine.it has has hard start.Thanks for you help us world wide to understand the efficiency. Of all problems in car.especially the VVTI series.

36. LJ HowzzE says

hi I hope your able to help r advise me whats wrong with my toyota rav4 2003… it starts no problem first time of the day or when it’s cold, after a run it heats up but nothing shows any overheating & temp gauge sits at the half way point,, however when after a run I stop the engine & try to restart it a few minutes later it struggles, the whole car can get to the point of shaking viscously sometimes firing sometimes not leaving me waiting up to 20-45 minutes depending the distance driven & outside weather temperature.. the other day while trying to re-start it after a run the car started shaking madly, thudding noisily but started, however it sounded like a tank when on low revs or idle, the load clunking vanished or reduced while driving returning when slowing down or idle, I’ve replaced the battery thinking thinking this was my start-up problems but today the knocking, thudding is still there but 100 times quieter & I still struggle to re-start the car after a run…. I’m no mechanic & really need some advice or HELP! 🙁 thank you in advance 🙂

37. Zia says