Denso vs NGK – Which Spark Plug Is the Better Choice?

Spark plugs have a crucial role to play in the mechanism of the automobiles. A car needs good-quality and fully-functioning plugs for running the engine. There are a couple of spark plug models in the market. Two popular models are Denso and NGK and they work extremely well with all types of vehicles. But, which one will have the edge in a Denso vs NGK comparison?

Denso vs NGK: What Type of Spark Plugs Are They?

Before diving deep into the discussion of Denso vs NGK, you should know their type and specific features to see if they fit your need.

Both the types are iridium spark plugs. The metal is much less conductive than copper but lasts longer and work at a low temperature. It is also 4-5 times costlier than platinum.

Iridium spark plugs are not the best in terms of performance but nothing can beat their longevity. When a copper plug lasts for around 20,000 miles, the average lifespan of an iridium plug is 40,000 – 60,000 miles.

On the other hand, they are also a better option than platinum plugs in terms of consistency and longevity. Unlike the platinum models, they are stable, don’t grow gap over time, and don’t create extra stress on the ignition system. They also need less maintenance as checking their condition at every 3 to 6 months is enough.

In a word, iridium spark plugs last longer than other types and their performance is better than the platinum units.

Denso vs NGK Plug: Which One Is Better?

It is hard to pull out a winner in the NGK vs Denso debate since both are iridium spark plugs and offer almost similar performance.

Denso plugs are installed on almost every automobile model manufactured in Japan. The iridium used in them has a superior hardness. The electrode’s diameter in these plugs shrinks more than an NGK. For this reason, Denso plugs won’t last longer than NGK units but they will be better at producing powerful sparks.

denso spark plugs vs ngk
NGK plugs are cheaper and lasts longer. Source: Amazon

On the other hand, NGK plugs will be a standard replacement for their platinum alternatives. They require less maintenance and provide a more stable and consistent performance than a Denso.

>> Looking for a quality cheap used car from Japan, click here <<

Conclusion

With the passage of time, spark plugs have been developed into a much more heavy duty component. Both Denso and NGK plugs work well with all types of vehicles – from light cars to heavy-duty pickup trucks. In this choice between Denso vs NGK, you will choose the first one if you care about the horsepower of your vehicle. It is only a fraction of a percent of the increase of power, though. But, NGK should be your choice if want a stable, long-lasting performance at a lower cost.

1. Elton says

Am glad to learn about these two types of plugs and all other posts on this page however, I would like to know whether poor performance of spark plugs has an effect on car jerking especially when one is driving up the hill with frequent stoppages due to queue?

1. charles says

had this problem that made me change my s plugs and fuel pump. It had nothing to do with that. Problem was a simple broken and loose wiring socket hooke to the engine.

2. Steve says

I had similar problem on my honda crv and it seemed to have gone away after i replaced pcv valve.

2. Fulawulu Emmanuel says

Excellent advise I have benefited from this knowledge

3. Ndiza Namaiko says

This is really vitally important sharing thanks for the knowledge i ve got something from there indeed.

4. Mac Robin says

NGK Iridium IX will not last longer than Denso Iridium Power. The problem with the NGK’s is that the ground electrode erodes very rapidly compared to the Denso’s (That is, unless NGK has fixed that in recent years).

The varying size of the center electrode has almost no effect on longevity since it’s made of iridium alloy. It’s the ground electrode you need to worry about and I’ve personally noticed the spark from the Iridium IX tip cause severe erosion to the ground electrode (strap electrode), necessitating a regap after only five to ten thousand miles. This is probably due to a hotter, more concentrated spark. I will never use NGK iridium IX again for this reason. Denso iridium power do not have this problem.

On the other hand, I just purchased a brand new set of 8 NGK LASER iridium plugs. This is finest plug in the NGK collection and maybe the absolute best plug out there. The NGK laser Iridium is miles ahead of both the Iridium IX and the Denso iridium power. Their Laser Iridium’s do not have issues with the ground electrode, and the whole plug has an advanced design.

Both NGK and Denso now have a twin tip iridium design, which is interesting, but I haven’t seen enough testing or reviews to think that they could be any better than the laser iridium design.

1. Nagato says

Thanks!

5. Mike says

Can somebody give me advise, i had been experiencing bad power from my engine “palyado” changed my spark plugs already, the mechanic suggested to change my coil but i think its not accurate since my car is only 3yrs. A mechanic told me to change my spark plugs to a higher voltage is this accurate? Thank you

6. Brian says

I would like to buy both denso and ngk for resale in my country what can I do

7. Brian says

I would like to buy both denso and ngk for resale in my country what can I do

8. Leo says

in my experience, i have always had problems with the denso in turbocharged engines. Their spark weakens over time. I will switch to the ngk equivalent for good this time.

9. AD says

Brilliant post Sir

10. monsonglobal says

Hello, thanks for this, can this two types be installed on any type of vehicle, to be specific which type is suitable for a Subaru non-turbo engine

11. Carlos Silva says

In my days working in a auto service station in Portugal i learned to carry always a piece of rubber tube same diameter of the porcelain part of the spark plug to those vehicules like that you have, cause we used a standard spark plug tools and we change a lot of them in many different engines. So you don’t need a special one to remove your spark plugs and you save money for other stuff.