What Is Shift Lock Release And How To Use It?
As we know the fact about transmission, there are two kinds – manual and automatic. Those cars which run on manual transmission also have a clutch which the driver needs to push each time to shift the gear. The number of gears depends on the size of the engine. A manual transmission car, however, doesn’t have the shift lock release mechanism.
Automatic transmission has it. It is, nevertheless, quite different from manual transmission. This is why people who are used to either kind of transmission find it difficult to drive a car with another transmission.
What Is Shift Lock Release?
This mechanism of shift lock and its release is present in cars with automatic transmission because the functionality of both is pretty much different. Here, there is no need to shift the gears manually. They do have a gear shift though. This gear shift, however, is used for switching among options like reverse, parking, neutral, etc. to shift between these options, you have the shift lock release options.
You can usually locate it on the lever itself. It is actually a button. It allows you to switch to an option, say parking, and then lets you lock it till you switch into another one. Then, unless you release the shift lock, you will not be able to do shift lock override.
- How to Use Overdrive in Automatic Transmission Car
- What is Neutral Gear in Automatic Transmission and How to Use it
How to Use Shift Lock Release?
As it is a button, a shift lock release button specifically, all you need to do is press it. When you press the button, it will cause the lock to release, thus allowing you to shift the lever to the desired option. As you release the lock, the lever will move as you desire. Now all you need to do is choose the option that you need to put the transmission in, and then press the button again. Pressing the button again will let you lock the lever on that setting.
Also, it is a safety function that helps you move your car when the gear shift won’t move from one setting to another. Follow these simple steps to use shift lock release when the gear selector isn’t working:
- The very first thing – put on the parking brake.
- Now, pull the key out of the ignition.
- Take a flat-head screwdriver or something that can do the similar job. Try to bring the cap off of the gear shift lock cover. It will be to the upper right of the gear selector.
- One you have removed the cover, insert the key into this slot.
- Now push the key down gently. Simultaneously, pull on the button situated at the front of the gearshift. This will let you move out of the parking.
- Pull the key out.
- Replace the cover like it was before.
- Insert the key back into ignition and press the brake pedal.
- Now, simply crank the engine.
The exact way to use shift lock release is always mentioned in your owner’s manual of your car. For those who are not acquainted with automatic transmission, this mechanism may seem superfluous at first, but those who know how to drive an automatic car know that it is very much important from safety point of view. In manual transmission, since driver has all the control in their hands, a mechanism like this is never a necessity. However, in a vehicle where the control is in the vehicles hands, shift lock release is indeed a necessity.