What are the Consequences of Running a Car with no Thermostat?

You might have had been opposing various views whether or not to drive without thermostat. The thermostat has this amazing feature to keep the engine cool every time it gets hot. Running a car with no thermostat has its own consequences that every driver must know.

So, let’s discover what will happen if you go for running car without thermostat.

Are you Running a Car with no Thermostat? Know this Before

Running a car without a thermostat is not a great idea as you may face numerous consequences of it. In addition, the total performance of the car gets affects if the thermostat is detached. So, find out the major results right now!

1. The Coolant

The thermostat is a simple valve located between the radiator and engine. As we already know, the major purpose of the thermostat is to maintain the engine at the proper temperature. The radiator runs to the entire engine and keeps it cool with the help of coolants. When the thermostat is detached, the engine remains cool as the radiator is moved to it quickly into the system. A normal car engine is meant to run in eighty to hundred degree centigrade temperatures. When running the car without a thermostat, it runs at 50o C temperature. At this temperature, the humidity gets packed in and condensed, which blend with the oil and result to slush. The slush blocks lubrication and the entire system wear out. This is why running a car with no thermostat is a way to bad vehicle performance.

Know about running a car with no thermostat
Man looking at a smoking engine in his car

2. Engine Parts

Starting a cold engine results its parts to wear out in almost the first five minutes of driving. Life of the engine minimizes quickly as the bad components are not isolated from the oil. The engine undergoes the closed loop procedure when the engine is beyond a particular temperature. If the temperature doesn’t increase, the engine will choke and stop ultimately. In fact, the heater will produce the cold air as well. However, depending on the age of the car, driving without thermostat can burn more fuel as ECM (engine control module) would think that the engine is still in its cool state and need to start up.

3. Thermostat Replacement

The bad thermostat can ruin the entire vehicle. The regular replacement of the thermostat will help you maintain the entire working of the car. The engine will reach its optimal temperature and the entire system will work properly.

Therefore, thermostat removal is harmful to your car and its components in every possible way.

Consult professionals before Running a car with no thermostat
Bad Thermostat Replacement in the car

>> Finding a cheap used car in good conditions here <<

4. Solution for Less Heat

Lack of heat can be treated by placing a large cardboard in front of the radiator. It must be located somewhere in between car grill and the radiator. This method averts the radiator to cool down the entire system by reducing the cold air blowing. It might even treat that cold air issue from the heater too. But, while pursuing this method keep your eyes on the temperature gauze so that the engine doesn’t overheat. If the temperature hikes too much, abort the operation and remove the board. So, use this method whenever you think- can a car run without a thermostat?

Driving with NO/Failed Thermostat in car – Is it worth it?

Running a car with no thermostat is overall a bad idea to pursue. In any situation, you feel unsure about the condition of the thermostat, use the best maintenance tips, or simply consult the professionals as soon as possible.

1. Xavier Olede says

In Africa and specifically uganda,the car sellers and specifically the mechanics advice clients to quickly remove the thermostat to avoid overheating because the device is not compatible with the high temperatures in Africa,how true is this ?

1. Saviour says

Did you get feedback on your question? it is the same case in Zambia.

2. Seru Savou says

Iam running my car without thermostat as advised by my mechanic, when it blocke d and damaged my car radiator . However I fill the water regularly to avoid overheating. Is this okay ?

3. Kelly kalaba says

I have been driving my car for 12 years now without a thermostat and nothing bad has happened.i removed it because my car was overheating and probably failed all the diagonisis I tried with qualified mechanics…

1. Isaac says

I removed the thermostat when my car overheated frequently.since then I have had no problem of overheating.should I reattach the gadget?

4. Michael says

My mechanic advised me to detach it immediately because it’s not compatible with the weather at Kenyan Coast. What should I do?

5. Saviour says

Thanks very much for clearing the air on thermostats. In Zambia the themostarts are removed from most vehicles on recommendations by mechanics as they are blamed for overheating in second hand cars, claiming that they are meant for countries with very cold temperatures. Do you insist they are very wrong in making such recommendations?

6. Charles okun says

Charles okun here in Kampala Uganda. The thing is that i have owned quite a number of Japan’s Toyota cars I actually always import them for my own but I have never removed a thermostat from any of these cars and better still none has ever got overheated and I use them for some long period of time before selling off.

7. Moses Oguti says

In Uganda its ignorance occasioning the removal of thermostats from cars. In most cases unqualified mechanics advise car owners to detach their thermostats. This usually happens with Japanese vehicles. For most European cars, you notice immediate problems such as overheating, sluggishness, increased fuel consumption and a check engine light as soon as you detach the thermostat.

8. Dhana says

I have car hundyi getz
    My foreman have removed the car themorestart. (Asian not require) now my aircom.get hot after 10 minute. Is the hot any think to do with themorestart removed.

9. IkeAnkoma says

My mechanic just advised me to detach the thermostat from my Toyota Corolla car because he said it does not work well in our kind of weather in Ghana. After reading this article I am confused as to whether it was a good decision to detach the thermostat. I need your advice.

10. Alfred says

Well,I am a professional mechanic that lives in Jamaica,and I think thermostat in cars in Jamaica,got stuck so quickly,and block off the flow of coolant and so the cars got overheated,and even burst the radiator,because of the hot climate weather in Jamaica,most mechanics always remove the thermostat from their vehicles,in order for a better circulation of flow through the radiator,but it not all vehicle you can remove the thermostat,so in countries that are not so hot,thermostat work better.