How To Reset Check Engine Light: Follow These 4 Easy Ways!

How To Reset Check Engine Light: Follow These 4 Easy Ways!
4.6 (91.21%) 66 votes

The check engine light comes on when your car’s computer detects an issue within the powertrain. It can indicate a major or minor complication, but ignoring it definitely makes the problem worse, leading to costly damage and repair. You can avoid all the hassles if you know the reasons for the light coming on. Nevertheless, it sometimes does not turn off despite solving the glitch. In that case, you will need to know how to reset Check Engine Light. Let’s check out the article below.

How to Reset Check Engine Light: 4 Easy Way to Do

Most of drivers feel annoyed if the red light of the Check Engine Indicator still does not go away even the fault of the car was fixed. In this case, your vehicle’s computer is at fault and it needs a little fix to resolve the issue.

Check this video to find out how to do these steps properly!

1. Use A Scan Tool

How to reset check engine light by a scan tool
How to reset check engine light by a scan tool (Source: Wikihow)

Using a scan tool is the easiest way for check engine light reset. If you wonder to know how to turn off check engine light by this way, here are 3 steps for you.

Step 1: Connect the scan tool to the OBD – II

Connecting the scan tool to the OBD- II ( On- board diagnostic connector) under your steering column. Then you turn the ignition switch to ON and don’t forget to turn of all gadgets.

Connect the scanner to the on-board diagnostic connector
Connect the scanner to the on-board diagnostic connector (Source: Wikihow)

Step 2: View error codes by pressing the “READ” button

Pressing the “READ” button on the scan tool to see the error codes of the engine. You should need a pen to write down the code or codes in the order they were received for future repairs or reference if needed.

Press the "Erase" button on your scanner to clear the error code
Press the “Erase” button on your scanner to clear the error code (Source: Wikihow)

Step 3: Remove the error code

Pressing the “ERASE” button on the scan tool to remove the error code. The Check Engine Light will turn off if all error codes are cleared.
Some scan tools have many capabilities such as freeze frame that notes some sensor readings when a code was set and removing the codes will also remove this file.
Note: In some scanners, they might have an automatic option and a “CLEAR” or “YES” button instead of “ ERASE” button.
Don’t forget to turn on the ignition before deleting the codes.

2. Apply The Battery Disconnecting Technique

Disconnecting battery cables to reset check engine light
Disconnecting battery cables to reset check engine light (Source: Wikihow)

Using battery disconnecting technique is an old way to reset check engine light. Here are 3 steps to help you know how to reset check engine light by this method.

Step 1: Disconnecting car battery cables

In this step, you should use a wrench to remove positive and negative cables.

Apply The Battery Disconnecting Technique
Apply The Battery Disconnecting Technique (Source: Wikihow)

Step 2: Draining remaining electricity

Next thing you should do is to press and hold the car horn for about 30 seconds. This action will help to drain any

Press and hold your horn for 30 seconds to drain any remaining electricity from the capacitor (Source: Wikihow)

electricity from your car capacitor.

Step 3: Waiting and reconnecting the battery

After disconnecting the battery cables and draining remaining electricity, all you have to do is to wait about 15 minutes then re-install the car battery cables. The error codes should be deleted which will cause the engine light to turn off. (Note: this method may not word on all car computers). In case, the car battery is disconnected and the light comes right back on, this may show an active problem and should be addressed and fixed.

3. Turn The Ignition On And Off

It’s a repeat of the previous technique without disconnecting the battery. You just have to put the key into the ignition and turn it on and off for three times in a row with the gap of a second in each step. After you are done, drive the car to see if the light is reset.

4. Let The Check Engine Light Go Off By Itself

check engine light
Wait for the light to go off by itself.

>> You can check the affordable used car from Japan right here! <<

Another way of how to reset check engine light is letting it go off by itself. It’s an easy process because you need to do practically nothing except for driving the vehicle as usual. The computer system in most cars keeps rechecking the problems that activate the light in the first place. If it’s a minor issue such as a glitch in the mass airflow or O2 sensor, it may fix automatically, and the light will go dark. However, if it still stares at you after three days, you have to apply the methods mentioned above to reset it.

What If The Check Engine Light Returns?

It can come back within a few days or weeks, which may signal a major complication. If it keeps happening despite following the resetting procedures, you should take the car to a service center and have it diagnoses by a professional mechanic. Such a repair shop uses more sophisticated tools to find out the exact problems.

Hopefully you may know How to reset check engine light by DIY methods through this article. If you have any question, leave us a comment on the box below, we will answer it for you.

1. Fidel edson says

Ilove car from japan, you give lesson on how maintanance can be done, whichever needed you provide the information at atime.lwo’d like to tell my friend and other people to keep on buying used car from japan

2. Gibson Riungu says

I have been asking many mechanics what check engine light on my dashboard means with no satisfying answer.

3. okodel James says

My car doesn’t charge but the battery light doesn’t appear on the dashboard why?

1. Trang Tran says

Thank you for contacting Car From Japan. However, we cannot answer your problem because there are many things we need to see at your car. I suggest you bring the car to a local mechanical shop to solve your problem.

1. Doh Kamboyi says

Mine has an engine check for almost a year now when i took to the dioganisys machine it just gave numbers which was the cause of the problem but couldn’t know what was the meaning of those numbers

1. Benny Kwenda says

Try to google ‘trouble shooting codes’ of your cars’ make and you’ll get the answers about what is it actually that needs to be diagnosed…

4. Daniel says

Like these lessons, I learn a lot from this platform.

1. Trang Tran says

Thank you. We will provide more useful information like this. Stay tuned

5. GADSON MAINA says

Morning
    Actually it is a very educative information shared there. I really appreciate

6. Nkole Muleng says

Well taught have learnt something here,thanx for your tips

7. Nkole Mulenga says

Well taught have learnt something here,thanx for your tips

1. Trang Tran says

We are glad that you like the article. Don’t forget to share with your friends!

8. Ben says

How do you resolve a throttle sensor issue?

1. Trang Tran says

Thank u for asking us. We will search more information and update later

9. stephen opiyo says

Wonderful site..my car is a Nissan sunny saloon B15 model..I would like to get updates on it power steering ,fuel consumption and power performance

1. Trang Tran says

We are happy to receive your comments. Please share with your friends so they can enjoy this article, too.

10. stephen opiyo says

Very informative site and a great assistance

1. Trang Tran says

11. ZimMech says

It’s interesting to note the second point that says disconnect the positive terminal.. this is obviously to isolate any power to the computer box. Surely it would make sense to disconnect the negative terminal​ and then the positive thereafter being that 99.999% of vehicles nowadays are if a negative chassis/earth? Safety first?

12. Tatio says

Next, tell us about the ABS lights. And how to reset it. Thank you once again.

13. Ole Nguso says

Informative, clear and concise. Thanks

14. K. O says

Thanks a lot, i just learnt something very important

15. Bernard says

Mine has an engine check for almost a year now when i took to the diagnosis machine it just gave numbers which was the cause of the problem.

16. Isaac says

Hello… Hav Nissan expert (Ad)…. when I engage drive the engine shake from gear No. 1 to gear No 2…. plus the check engine light never disappeare

17. methee says

My car is Toyota ractis the check engine light comes after you have gone at constant speed when you stop and switch it of and then on it disappear only to appear again after driving at constant speed what could be the issue

18. Nyagare Richard says

Why is it that my automatic Toyota car blinks on the dashboard/ showing hazard lights , especially when i am travelling at a low speed?
    When should I drive with the orange light ; showing on the dashboard ” O D off”? At what speed.?

19. Petercollins says

What a wonderful lessons ..from car from Japan …I have learned a lot out of the post your have been posting

20. Togina G says

Does the engiecheck light affects the idle rpm.please would explain further

21. Evans says

Mine is a Mazda bongo which came having the DPF on. After visiting my mechanic, he realised the check engine light was missing(bulb). So he put a bulb there and the check engine light has been on since then…almost two years now! When taken to diagnostics, all error codes are about DPF. Since I suspect the DPF system was messed up by the time of buying the van, my mechanic advised we ignore the light!

22. Bonnie tosh says

Does oxygen sensor problem result to higher fuel consumption

23. Christopher chisanga says

So educative information there thanks a lot, love to have other tips on this.

24. Reji says

I have a 1990 Toyota Mark 2 LX80 and the check engine light will not come on with the key in the accessories position. Not sure where the bulb is in the instrument cluster for the check engine light. Can someone please help me out?

25. simon says

i was once driving this 7 sitter ipsum, where i noticed that whenever you try to accelerate, the vehicle will hesitate to pick up and the car will jerk…… after noticing that i also saw an engine check light on…..and i was told by another electrician that it might be a computer box which which has an error…so what could be the problem to that?

26. Funeka says

Hi
    My car does not run engine immediately, it takes far, sounds like the diesel is not coming up immediately, why?

27. Rosie says

I had my Check Engine light on and went to the dealer over and over for diagnosis. Their scanner showed a faulty catalytic converter with an estimate of $1800 for replacement. It didn’t make sense since the car was running fine. To make things worse, I wouldn’t pass emissions inspection with the check engine light on. I spent a lot of time on online blogs and took advice. The first thing to do is to change the gasoline you are using to a top brand premium grade. I was using 87 octane from a cheap gas station. After burning off the cheap gas, I bought Shell premium and filled up. Within 4 days, the check engine light went off. You can’t trust the dealers to tell you the truth. An online blog said to try this. If someone online knows this, the dealers must also know this, but they try to sell you an $1800 repair job. Upgrade your gasoline before trying anything else.

28. Robert says

Engine light was on I did not fix the problem but now the engine lights off I know what the problem is but now the engine light won’t come on when I turn on the key what could be wrong

29. Ife Mbams says

Hi, I blocked my EGR valve and turn off the check engine light but after driving for about an hour the check engine light returned again, what do I do?
    thanks.

30. car revoval melborne says

Hi Ife Mbams ,
    This was a great information about the resolving of issue permanently in a car during driving easily by using the service of Victoria car removal in Melbourne with in a short period of time a start your journey safe and fast without any trouble shoot ,If your car is still running before you sell it to the junkyard due to any kind of issue then you must use the service of car removal in Melbourne , you might want to use up the gasoline in the tank before you have it towed away. Depending on the size of the tank in your car or truck, the value of the gasoline in the tank can represent a substantial portion of the total value of the price you’re getting from the junkyard. If your car isn’t running, be careful if you attempt to siphon gasoline from the tank. Use only approved containers to carry the gasoline, and never start a siphon using your mouth. Don’t worry about the value of the gas to the junkyard. They’ll have to drain all the fluids out of your car before recycling or scrapping the parts, and gasoline in the tank is a nuisance for them.
    Thanks .

31. Dunstan says

Does a 2000cc engine use more fuel than 1500cc, then my car looses power when climbing a hill. Kindly advise

Car: Nissan Serena

32. […] How To Reset Check Engine Light […]

33. […] How To Reset Check Engine Light […]

34. KINOTI says

my automatic car (honda CRV), has lost power and is very weak in uphill drive. what could be the problem?

35. RGN says

Good evening ;
    Thank you for this lesson, I’ve just taken an answer to a problem; I asked to local mechanics but never be satisfied.
    By the way I have a question, if after being to a specialised mechanics, the check engine light Still turn on; what could be the ultimate solution that I can expect to?

36. Bright Mazuba says

Thank you so much for this informative and educative article.

37. Joseph says

Hi,I changed my casket recently but the check engine keep on coming on and off,what could be the problem? ?

38. Victor says

Good morning, how do I know that the Over drive is on or off and when should over drive be on and off. In an Ipsum latest car with 2az engine.

39. Kaunda kapinda says

This is so informative, I like it. Hw can u reset the speedometer of a car.?

40. Elias Dickson says

How To Reset check engine and OD lights

41. daniel.mathebula says

good morning gents can anyone assist my Nissan np3oo having problem is flashing engine warning light & engine doesn’t have power, the speed limit not exceeding 80km,

42. Moussa Mwahebwa says

Hello, have a question with my Ractis push button car. Today I took off my car battery and when returned back the card start well but the relent is not coming up, can’t move or drive a way.what can I do the help me?

43. Michellé says

Hi
    The engine light still does not go off what do we do now

44. M Kruger says

My X Trail 2.5 is stuck in safe mode I have changed the air flow sensor and the throttle control switch.