6 Most Common Crankshaft Position Sensor Symptoms

6 Most Common Crankshaft Position Sensor Symptoms
4.4 (87.83%) 23 votes

All the modern vehicles have the crankshaft position sensor. It is a component for monitoring the crankshaft’s rotational speed and position. It also sends a report to the engine control unit so that the latter can make the right adjustments should anything is malfunctioning. There are several failure crankshaft position sensor symptoms that you should pay attention to. Many engine models stop functioning if this component fails to send accurate signals.

The Most Common Failure Crankshaft Position Sensor Symptoms

The speed and position of the crankshaft are two key parameters that the car’s computer uses for engine management calculations. So, you may understand how important it is for the sensor to work without any glitch. Let’s learn about some crankshaft position sensor failure symptoms so that you can take action when there’s a problem.

1. Check Engine Light Is On

Crankshaft Position Sensor Problems
Check engine light comes on if the sensor is overheated.

It can come on for various reasons and sensor problem is one of crankshaft position sensor symptoms. Sometimes, it stops working due to overheating and causes the check engine light to turn on. In that case, cooling down the engine for some time will cool off the sensor too and turn the light off. Otherwise, you will need a mechanic to check the car’s computer to determine the source of the trouble.

>> Buy a high-quality used car at best deal from Japanese authorized dealers here <<

2. Vibrations in the Engine

crankshaft position sensor symptoms
Vibration from engine is usually the cause

A failed sensor means no monitoring for the crankshaft position. It causes the engine to start vibrating heavily. Ultimately, the juddering can affect the engine power and mess with the recording of mileage.

3. Slow Response from the Accelerator

accelerator
The accelerators sometime cannot follow up

If the sensor is facing any trouble, it won’t send correct information about the position of the cylinders. It means there will be a gap between the computer receiving data and applying it. For this reason, the accelerator hesitates and does not give a real-time response.

4. Erratic Starting

crankshaft position sensor symptoms
One of the most serious crankshaft position sensor symptoms

It’s one of the most serious crankshaft position sensor symptoms. The computer receives a malfunction code when the sensor is completely gone. The symptom starts with difficulty in starting and leaves the car dead one day if you don’t get it fixed. The starting problem could be the result of electrical connection or circuit problems too.

5. Misfiring of the Cylinder

Failing Crankshaft Position Sensor Symptoms
Misfiring cylinder is a common response to sensor problems.

It’s a common response when your car experiences some crankshaft position sensor symptoms. Failing sensor cannot provide correct information about the piston position, causing one of the cylinders to misfire. An issue with the spark plug will also draw the same response. However, if the problem persists after handling all the other issues, the sensor is likely to be the culprit.

6. Stalling and Backfiring

crankshaft position sensor symptoms
The engine might be turned off suddenly

It’s another issue that indicates a malfunction of the sensor, and one of the crankshaft position sensor symptoms. In this case, your car will still run but the engine will turn off after some time. The misfiring will also occur the same way. If you keep ignoring the signs, the engine will shut off permanently.

How to test Crankshaft and Camshaft Position Sensors? Check out the video below:

If you have any question about Crankshaft Position Sensor, don’t hesitate to give us a comment in the box below, our auto experts will answer it for you.

1. Joe Kashiwa says

Dear sir,

Thanks a lot for you effort on giving us the technical know-how on finding solutions on our Vehicles.
    kindly advise on the best diagnostic machine for Japanese cars.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

2. Tawanda says

Thanks for the advices also whats the best machine for japanese cars

3. Cindy says

I had crankshaft position sensor replaced after 1997 town and country stalled. The next day I picked up my van; the engine stalled before I left the parking lot. I had to get the crankshaft position sensor replaced; because the first crankshaft position sensor was defective. Today, similar problems again tried to start but didn’t. Start a second time, Tennessee minutes later a slight jerk in acceleration, and engine light came on, two hours later, start engine, drove and two minutes later engine stalled. Could this be same problem?

4. Rachel Williams says

Hello,
    I am reading your blog and I am really enjoying it.

I am not car savvy and I have a weird situation.

My Toyota Camry engine blew up the day after a service and oil leak was fixed.

The insurance company has declined my claim. But, I think they are still related.

They said that the failure of the engine was due to the falling out of
    the bolt securing the VTU.

But, I have been told that bolts don’t just “fall out.”

If you can help me, please let me know. I can send you more documentation
    and photos.

5. RG says

Can the crankshaft sensor get overheated and make the car not wanting to start?

6. COLUMBUS OKOLOISE says

THANKS FOR THIS LESSON

7. ivan says

I have a bmw x5 and the signal is reading between 0 and 12 v, could be a ground issue in some cable? I get signal to high code in bank 2. should add some resistor between signal wire and ground to turn it about 5v, and retry? the car is not starting.

8. Afroz says

I have zd30 dd engine starts fine after starting engine revs goes up and then like after 10 seconds oh when u press the speed pedal then the idle becomes normal but engine misses and when u press the speed pedal it never crossed 2000 rpm

9. Gabino tobias says

I have a 1993 Jeep Cherokee sport and one night as I drove 20 minutes from my house to my buddy’s house i noticed I was low on fuel and instead of stoping at gas station I went to him first thing is that Once I got to his house I turn of my Jeep and when I tried to start it again it would not start At first I thought it was that I had no fuel after I went to get fuel in a 5 gal gas tank and put it in there still nothing so I’m just wondering what it could be the fuel pump comes on when I put the key forward . So I know is not that any suggestions on what it could be maybe a Fuel injector a bad coil or a sensor

1. Sage Pope says

I had this happen to my 1988 Cherokee sport. had just done plugs, wires, coil, fuel pump and O2 sensor. I pulled the plugs and noticed Cylinders 1,2, and 4 have almost no fuel, while cylinders 3, 5 and 6 have fuel. I think when the fuel gets that low, and especially with old injectors, that the injectors get to hot and fry themselves. Check for fuel coming out of the injectors. Ive already orderd new Bosch 4 port injectors, and im going to install them tomorrow. If its not that, im going to check the MAP and CPS sensors and hopefully that fixes the issue.

10. Alice Chung says

I have a 2005 Honda Jazz with automatic transmission. Servicing has been carried out recently. There is still some 30,000 Km before the change of gear oil is due. The car has been jerking and stalling so a new crankshaft position sensor has been put. Unfortunately, the problem is still occurring. I shall most appreciate to receiving a professional help and advice. Thanks so much.

11. A fool says

Probably a stupid question say your engine does shut off permanently would changing the senser get it to work again or is it bye bye car and get a new one

1. Sage Pope says

Unless it manages to bend a connecting rod, seize, or start dropping valves, it will be fixable

12. Jess says

I have an Audi s3 with a cam sensor problem….replaced it with a brand new one but still getting the engine management light on and the code for cam sensor?? Checked wiring and that’s fine don’t know what else to do ?

1. Sage Pope says

Clear the code and see if it resurfaces

2. Red says

I’ve got exactly the same problem with a Audi Allroad V6 2.7t engine. Did you solve your problem and what was the reason for this problem? Timing belt jumped a tooth, chain guide broke down? Did you check compression?

13. Brandon wratherspoon says

So I just replaced a crank shaft position sensor and after one day of running good it would not crank for a whole day I took it out and it had a dent in it what could be causing my problem

14. Esam says

لدي سياسة أسسوا راديو موديل 1996 محرك 3.2 بعد عكس أقطاب البطارية لم يعد المحرك يشتغل وبعد تغيير بعض الفوز أصبح المحرك يدور ولكن دون تشغيل وعند فحص بوكس الكمبيوتر كان سليم فهل يكون السبب تلف ال كرنكشفت

15. Esam says

isuzu rodeo engine stop after change battery poles at (position)

16. Dickson Jombo says

I am Dickson
    I have a Nissan Quest SL 3.5 2005 model with a Murano engine. It’s been showing all the symptoms of a faulty and failing crankshaft position. We got the bottom one replaced but after about an hour of driving, the dashboard shows a battery light icon and the engine stalls, and after a few minutes it can start again and does behave same way when the engine is hot. The engine also vibrates ocassionally on acceleration .Please help me with the right advice on how to go about it, and specification of the sensor it would also require. Thank you!

17. […] Crankshaft Position Sensor Symptoms […]

18. Phillip O says

Hello, I have a 1997 Chevrolet K3500 454 7.4L V8… I have oil coming from the crankshaft position sensor. When I pulled the connector from the sensor, there was a large amount of oil inside. The truck does not have any other symptoms then low acceleration problems, hard starting and may be running rich. exhaust smells strong like fuel. Thoughts please? is this possible???

1. Sage Pope says

I have a 94 K2500 with a TBI 454, and it was having acceleration problems. I pulled the TBI and cleaned it out and it helped

19. Ejaz Ahmed says

I have E 200 compressor 2006. ESP defective visit work shop massage display on the board. some time engine stop unexpectedly. some time start normally. please let me know the proper rectification of this problem.

20. Jeff Schnaars says

Would a faulty crank angle sensor cause no pulse signal on two cylinders.

21. Jeff Schnaars says

Will a faulty crank angle sensor cause a no pulse signal on two cylinders.

22. Owen says

Hi,

I have a Mitsubishi Grandis 2001(eng: 4G64), import it from Trust Japanese Vehicles, my car does not start anymore, it cranks only, got mechanics to check Fuel Filter, Spark plugs, ignition coils, camshaft sensor, throttle sensor, ECU and all seems to be working, but Crankshaft Sensor was not checked.

Before all this, I washed my car engine and the only problem was, the car has no engine power when accelerated. Car starts smoothly but no engine power, when the Fuel Filter was removed and checked that’s when the having this problem, it only cranks but not starting.

Please help.

23. Diane says

I didn’t have a problem with my 2006 town n country till my car place disabled it bc of my late insurance payment . To make a long story short I had the GPS taken off cuz my mechanic told me that was interfering with it starting n staying started,anyway then I had the fuel injector replaced n its running worse than before ,no power feels like its gonna stall when I’m coming to a stop doesn’t turn over on the first attempt like before it takes like 4 time n I gotta put my foot to the floor n I smell gas my check engine lite is on again after mutable time since I’ve had it. I’m at my witty end.

24. DAVE RITCHIE says

Hi my name is Dave i have got a 2.2 litre ford transit tdi have a mega problem with my vehicle firstly it started conking out and then it was difficult to start up again so i had to turn all the POWER OFF to get it started again so we put it on the DIAGNOSTIC MACHINE AND it came back as PO335 CRANK SHAFT POSITION SENSOR ; A ; CIRCUIT.
    so i changed my crankshaft sensor. with a new one from FORD and we thought that we sorted out the problem because it was only conking out after 3-4 days so we put it back on the DIAGNOSTIG machine and it came back not with 1 problem but 2 problems with the SENSOR. So i am asking your advice what am i meant to do 1 mechanic thinks that it is the timing chain and he wants to fit a new one but my vehicle is only 5 years old. i hope that you can help me cheers DAVE.

25. Andy Itodo says

can I replace N42 crankshaft sensor with that of 6 cylinders crankshaft sensor

26. Joe says

Good day my polo 6 gave me crank sensor error I changed it two days later the error comes up again and car takes long to start after a lot of cranking
    Please help

27. Ann says

Why do people ask questions here when no one replies???
    You can read this, yes!
    I’m not expecting an answer.

28. Betty Polasky says

I’ve got a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee county which I’ve recently had to get the crankshaft sensor replaced. When I got it back from the shop it ran for about 1 hour very rough though. Now it is leaking transmission fluid heavily and running much worse then when I took it in. It will not leak if I take the cap off the radiator though. I really need some help here.

1. Brian Stockham says

If you haven’t already had this diagnosed, there apparently is at least one leak between your radiator and transmission cooler (they are the same unit, but the transmission cooler is a separate, but adjoining “container” at the bottom of the radiator shell. The radiator is supposed to carry heat away from the transmission cooler. It sounds like there is a leak or rupture between the two, and the steam pressure in the radiator is forcing transmission fluid out from another leak.

29. tony molloy says

What would be the cause of wear on the crankshaft of a five year old diesel engine with 160,000km.
    It is a D4D toyota corolla

30. John Jackson says

I’ve got an 06 Kia sportage, very very hard starting, happens all of a sudden. It backfires sometimes when cranking. Once it starts it runs fine with no issues.

31. Kit Hannigan says

I am glad that you explained how a delayed response from your accelerator can point to a problem with your sensors. My son travels all around the country to look for landscape photos to sell off of the internet. His business depends heavily on his vehicle, so it will be wise of him to take notice of any abnormalities of his car and taking action immediately. Should he experience any delays on his accelerator, I will be sure to advise him to get his vehicle into the car repair shop immediately to avoid prolonged downtimes for his business.

32. Ali Salimi says

I have a problem with my car sometimes it turnes off when I stop and the gear is in Drive mode. I start it and turns on again. I have changed its cranckshaft sensor with a new one 6 months ago because it was faulty.
    I want to know if this problem can occure from the new cranckshaft sensor or not?

33. Stephen howard says

I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima with the v6 twin over head cam it got a miss to the motor will starting and has it when warmed up but when u put it in gear when it warms up it will shut off but if u keep it running it don’t have power and the valves start making noise I just put a new camshaft sensor in it help

34. Pat says

Why would replacement of the crankshaft sensor fix my 2004 grand Cherokee for a couple days then back to the flashing check engine light and violent misfire from the engine

35. Raymond says

If the crankshaft position sensor was fail the vgt actuator was being stuck also and not functioning? Thanks

36. LG Harvey sr says

my 1997 E420 Mercedes will start and run for a short while then shut down will start but backfire when you give it gas has no power like running out of gas

37. abba aldobaissi says

Dear sir
    thank you for this amazing video , I have 2007 Toyota Camry give me codes C1201 and po335 , I replace the sensor tow times but i keep got the codes WHEN I TURN LEFT ???? YES LEFT TURN .also i would like to mention that i change the alternator the voltage about 13.6 after the engine idle (warm ) and when it cold about 14.2. any I die why i keep get these codes .
    best regards

38. Roger Morrisroe says

turning the ign key sometimes nothing happens when attempting to start the car. If I put the car into gear and move it forwards, then select neutral then most times it will start. Is this a sensor problem or a tempremental stater motor? The battery is brand new. Kia Sportage 2008 CRDI 2.0L 4X4. 6 speed manual.

39. John says

I have a question about troubleshooting after a crank position sensor was replaced on a Jeep Cherokee Grand Loredo 2002. I replaced the sensor (what an absolute pain of a job it was!!!) and after replacing it when I tried starting the engine it feels like starting an old style car with timing way way out. It almost started a few times but has trouble cranking and backfires.
    I replaced with a new sensor that had the paper gasket for clearance but what I’m wondering is whether the symptoms may be because the sensor is too far away from the flywheel. In retrospect, maybe I should have made sure the sensor was pressing against the flywheel before tightening the retaining bolt/screw.
    The concern now is if the sensor was against the flywheel the temporary paper gasket will have bee ground off and pushing it closer to the flywheel will damage the sensor.
    Any advice on whether the problems would be caused by the sensor being too far away from the flywheel and how I could check this without removing the sensor again. It really is a painful job that would be so much easier if I had thinner forearms : )

40. Wayne Guyton says

i replaced the starter and now the check engine light is on and the auto parts store ran a scan and they said it was the crankshaft sensor.

41. Christian says

Is it possible to not have spark if the crank sensor has failed??been struggling w this prob for a week now!!!!the answer to this question would b much appreciated!

42. sean edwards says

hi it started with preheating/fuel filter/engine electronics and service / engine electronics light coming on and a loud engine noise could not get much speed and then it slowed down and had a wobble then died it would not start after that we called the RAC and he did a check and it said camshaft fault is it an easy fix or have i killed my van

43. Shelby Neff says

Do you know where the crankshaft position sensor is located on a 2013 chevy Malibu with the EcoBoost engine?

44. Mike G says

We recently had a mouse that decided to chew through the wires going to the camshaft position sensor on our 2014 Toyota Rav. It happened at about the time for the 50,000 mile service checkup so the service engine light has been on for about a week. One day I saw a New yellow warning that said Check Engine Soon. So I headed straught fr the service shop. Almost by accident the tech noticed that the check engine light would not go off and looking very closly at the CPS connector he saw that all 3 wires had been chewed through just a scleanely as a wirecutter. It was an amazine sight to see how tightly the cut was made. Under the circumstances i am hoping a new pigtail wil solve the problem (much less expensive than a new sensor 🙂 !
    My question is why didnt i see a single tiny bit of malfunction during the time i have been driving yet had no camshift sensor. Everything worked perfectly! Does this mean Toyota is an extremely wellmade vehicle or was i just very lucky? As a side question why would a mouse do something like that anyway?

45. Debbie says

I have a fiat panda 2009 , my engine light started blinking & the engine was cutting out at low speeds or when going over bumps . I then broke down as the engine cut out completely & AA came out & they managed to start it .this time engine light stayed on , AA diagnosed a crank sensor fault . Had new sensor fitted & warning light cleared & no faults were then detected . However when I then drove it , the car had exactly the same fault & cut out again with engine light blinking , then cut out altogeher again !!!???

46. Paul says

I have a mitsubishi 2005 Colt Club Cab 3L I V6, one coil pack is not firing, I swapped it with another one and coil pack is good, it spark when the engine is cold but when warm it does not spark.

47. Dennis Toman says

Mechanic replaced camshaft positioning sensor.He can’t find anything else mechanically wrong but the service engine light keeps coming back on now what

48. Tanisha Hayes says

I have an 02 Nissan Altima and I paid 189 for a diagnostics and thy told me it was my cam and crank position censors so went to buy thm and someone put thm on and that wasn’t the problem I was wondering if you could tell what the actual problem is

49. Carole Tune says

Hi there, please help me. I have a 2004 Honda CRV 2.4 VTec 165,000kms. Has run perfectly for the last 10 years, never any problem. Then I was having trouble with it not starting at first go, engine would crank over but not start straight away, but eventually would. So, though it might be a dud battery, which I had replaced.
    Seemed ok for a short time, then started doing it again. Took to a mechanic who thought the only thing could be the crank sensor, which he replaced 4 days ago. NOW the same problem is back, got the car to start, reversed out of the garage then back in & when I put the car into Park, the engine shut down completely. Couple of goes, got it started again, put it in reverse and engine cut out straight away. Now I am too scared to drive it in case this happens when I am driving. Does anyone have any ideas as to what to look at now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards
    Carole
    Adelaide
    South Australia

50. Feizal khan says

Hi i got an accent 1.6 2012
    It hard starts.error code is p0335.i put in a new crank sensor .when i rev ovet 3500rpm it jerks.i took it out and put in anothet one ,same problem .i put back my old crank sensor it does not jerk over 3500rpm.can help me please solve this problem