What Are the Reasons for Rattling Noise When Accelerating?

Your car can vibrate, shake, and create various types of noises for different reasons. One such problem is rattling noise when accelerating. If it particularly happens when you accelerate the engine, you can pin down the problems on common failures of several components.

The Reasons Behind Transmission Rattling Noise When Accelerating

Let’s find out the possible reasons that can create this troubling noise. Knowing about them will help you with quick diagnosis and finding the correct fix before it gets worse.

The Transmission Fluid Level

It’s not a major issue, but you would want to check it to rule out the obvious cause. The fluid should exactly be at the level instructed in the owner’s manual. Low level of fluid is one of the reasons for causing rattling noise when accelerating. It’s a simple issue with a simple fix, but the consequence could be outright scary.

transmission rattling noise when accelerating
Low transmission fluid level could the source of the rattling sound when accelerating.

Torque Converter

A bad torque converter could be the origin of rattling sound when accelerating at low speed. It will be a faint sound when the car is idling in ‘park’ mode, but the volume and frequency will increase in proportion to acceleration. It could indicate the last stage of the converter’s life. If this happens, you should take the vehicle to a repair shop as soon as possible.

Motor Mount

The motor mount on the passenger side could be another obvious culprit. Its failure could lead to the rattling noise when accelerating. A ruptured mount will leak fluid everywhere. So, if you see dark lines of dripping oil underneath or on the frame next to the side mount, take it to a mechanic. Sometimes, it’s hard to determine the failure just by looking at it, especially if there’s no stain of oil. You will need to have it diagnosed by a professional in that case.

READ MORE:

Heat Shields

These components act as a thermo-reflective barrier between the exhaust system and other parts including gas tank, fuel lines, and the cabin of a car. When they are loose or broken, they fail to completely block the heat transfer to these key areas. As a result, you will hear frightening rattles at higher speeds.

Transmission rattling noise
Check the exhaust system when the engine is off for several hours.

>> Buy a used car from reliable Japanese sellers here <<

You have to inspect the exhaust system to find out if heat shields are causing rattling noise in car when accelerating. However, do it only when the engine is off for several hours. The exhaust pipe and some other parts remain hot even after hours of switching the engine off.

V-Belt Pulleys

The speed of these pulleys escalates with the engine speed. If they are slightly bent or loose, the metal-on-metal contact will create terrifying rattling sound when accelerating. Open the hood and inspect the V-belts when the engine is off and running. If a pulley is bad, the belt will show damage in the form of frayed sides. If the accessory drive system is the root that car makes rattling noise when accelerating, you can remove the belt and spin each of the pulleys to see if anyone wobbles or feels loose.

Rattling Sound When Accelerating At Low Speed

So what’s about car makes noise when accelerating at low speed on the road? The rattling noise appears when you start speeding up from 0 to maybe 30 or 40 mph and then disappear after car speed surpasses 40 mph. In another circumstance, when your automobile is running at low speed the noise keeping coming out of car engine. Moreover, you have the feeling that your car is holding back by something indefinable.

What have you done in that situation? The culprit of rattling sound when accelerating mainly derives from car engine. So first things you should do is checking transmission fluid level, torque converter, motor mount, heat shields and pulleys respectively until  you could find the reason.

Wrapping Up

So now, do you know what to do if your car makes rattling noise when accelerating? Try to follow these instructions above and you will find your problem. If you still couldn’t find the culprit or you have any question related to this topic, do not hesitate to leave a comment below.

1. Howard says

My car creates a tapping or rattling noise around 15000rpm and then white smoke. Coolant level is okay, no high engine temp, I’m confused pls help. I’ve changed timing belt, pcv, oil filter, engine oil etc but still same. Amy confused. ..what’s the problem. I’ve got a Toyota Mark 2

1. Gummo says

15 THOUSAND RPM? ARE YOU KIDDING?!

1. Fuck off gummo says

He probably meant 1500. Anyone could tell that’s what he meant, so stop being a jackass and and answer the question if you know what the answer is. AND PLEASE STOP TYPING IN CAPS.

2. Gummo says

15 THOUSAND RPM?! Are you KIDDING?!

3. D H Mukuwa. says

Pinging sound at 55/60km/h..?

4. S Mithers says

I had the same problem with my toyota , turned out to be the WTF valve control sensor,very easy to replace. Ask your local auto parts store , most will check it for free

5. Sunil says

I have Toyota Etios liva when I m driving my car and pressing accelerator my car is giving high sound including when I m increase or decrease gears also. It’s pickup is also not up to the mark . It’s 2014 model petrol version and run about 44000 kms

6. Conor Mupthy says

Rattle at 2rpm from dashbaord on MRK 7 golf?

Any help?

7. garry says

i get a random rattleing noise when i accelerate at low speeds odd times, sound like coming from my front left wheel well but not sure. at first i thought was just my fender liner rubbing or somthing cause it sounds likemy front left wheel area but it just randomly happens so im not sure what it is really

8. Wasiim says

Hi, can this be caused by the bad quality of fuel?

9. Wasiim says

Hi, can this be caused by the bad quality of fuel????

10. Ashley says

Hi there I have a 2006 Mazda 6 Grand Touring with about 131k, when u start accelerating at around anywhere from 20 to 40 miles an hour it starts makes a weird rattling sound (kind of sounds like a chain) then it goes away and some times it comes back around 60 mph.. My car also feels like it has very little power and won’t really get up and go my mechanic suggested it might be the timing chain, but I am not sure (he hasn’t looked at it yet) any thoughts on what this could be?

11. Keith Wilkes says

Hi Sukasa. I have a 2007 suzuki 1.3 Ignis single drive 5 speed Manual gearbox.
    about a month ago it developed a Knocking noise that appeared to be coming from the transmision.
    this only occurs in 1st 2nd & 3rd gears, but apart from the noise the car drives normally.
    I have tried all the simple things as you suggested,but to no avail.
    I now have checked the wheel bearings and drive shafts all seem to be OK.
    So I’am now considering it must be something in the gearbox or Diff, Please advise, Thanking you, Keith

12. Alif says

Hi Tsukasa,

Similar incident to my late father’s car which is a 2008 Honda Accord. The weird crackling sound only occurs when the car is accelerating from 0 – 40 km/h and decelerating when nearly stop ( 30 – 0 km/h ),

Sent to the workshop multiple times to have some parts replaces but the problem is still occurring. Not sure on what to do anymore for this case.

13. Marta Pando says

I have a Toyota Corolla 2013 going uphill on freeway ramp or any incline If I reduce speed very low then suddenly have to accelerate … I get noise from rear … feels like tires stopped rotating ..and dragging
    If I dont take foot off gas I get a loud noise (metal on metal) Mechanic is not sure, thinks it is a transmission problem.. Transmission Shop tell me not a transmission problem.