Why Car Loses Power While Driving? Causes That You Must Know!

Why Car Loses Power While Driving? Causes That You Must Know!
4.1 (81.29%) 31 votes

Sometimes when you accelerate, your car loses power while driving. Usually, the first cause that strikes our head is inefficient fuel. While this can be one reason, there are numerous other factors as well that cause this problem. Sometimes the cause behind this problem can be different for diesel and petrol engine although there are many similarities between the two.

Car Loses Power While Driving: The Reasons

There can be numerous offenders slowing down your journey. Here are some of the major causes:

1. Dilapidated Spark Plugs

The combustion of the engine relies on the spark plugs of the vehicle. Their work is to transmit the electrical signal from the ignition coil to the combustion chamber. Once this happens, the spark plugs ignite the mixture of fuel and air. With faulty spark plugs, the electrical signal does not reach to the engine, properly. Thus, your car may not be able to accelerate as desired.

2. Level of Compression

The internal combustion of the vehicle is responsible to generate power to accelerate with the help of cylinder compression. Therefore, if there is low level of compression in the engine, it will generate insufficient power causing a problem when accelerating. Low compression is also the major cause of improper ignition in the engine.

3. Defective Fuel Pump

Fuel pump failure results in car loses power while driving
Defective Fuel Pump is one of the reasons for car loses power while driving

If the car has no power when accelerating, it means there is some defect in the fuel pump. A fuel pump supplies fuel in the gas tank for the engine for combustion. Further, it also accommodates the engine’s need by regulating the pressure for the fuel. In case, it has a defect, the acceleration results in poor functioning and hence, the car may not start.

4. Damaged Air Filter

Sometimes, your car loses power while driving due to a damaged air filter. The car’s combustion uses gasoline and air to produce power, where air first goes into the air filter. The filter keeps all the bugs and debris out from entering the chamber. If you have a bad filter, your car will certainly have a problem in driving smoothly.

5. Clogged Exhaust Pipe

How car loses power while driving on the road
Car loses power while driving because of Clogged Exhaust Pipe

An exhaust pipe comprises of two filters – the muffler and the catalyst. The role of catalyst is to reduce the pollution emitted from the fumes, while the muffler reduces the noise pollution. Both have their own importance. If either of the pipes has something clogged inside, then the engine will certainly impair and reduce the power it generates.

6. Damaged Ignition Coil

The ignition system has coils that convert power from the battery to ignite the engine. With a damaged ignition coil, the mixture of fuel and air would be inappropriate. Thus, a faulty ignition coil will not produce ignition properly.

Solutions for Car Loses Power while Driving

1. Find a safe parking

When you find a broken vehicle, you should calmly try to get the vehicle to the roadside before it stops completely or drive the car to the nearest lane. The driver immediately needs to turn on a hazard warning light to warn other drivers, avoiding collisions if others are not paying attention.

2. Identify problems that are occurring

The next thing to do is to quickly identify the underlying causes that cause your car to stop abruptly, but not everyone has the ability and ability to do so. Take a look at some simple mistakes like tires, oil systems, cooling water, batteries, etc.

Car loses power while driving
Identify problems that are occurring

3. Call for help

Look around for help from roadside people, ask about the reputable repair shops near you or the tools that can help you fix the problem. Or call a family member who is knowledgeable about vehicles and machinery for advice on what to do next.

4. Contact a car salvage service

If you are a mobile person and are afraid of having problems on the road, sign up for a car salvage service. You just need to call the lifesaver and present the problem you are facing, you will receive the appropriate support package and if the car is damaged you can not repair it immediately. Download dedicated car carrier you about.

5. Be prepared for bad situations

Car loses power while driving
Be prepared for any bad situations

In any case, you should always carry “simple” but with a very useful “tools”, including basic repairs, filling the tank and carrying the car for inspection. before leaving. This Happy New Year!

One of the biggest worries that can be made about the “old man” is that the car is “lined up” because of internal problems related to the engine. There are subjective causes and also objective causes.

Frequently Situations Encountered

So before going to the end of this article, we will show you some frequently asked questions that you may often encounter, with specific situations with specific explanations for each. It may help you to have a safely driving!

1. Vehicle is dead due to broken CDI ignition. This information is often exchanged.
>> Fix: replace the new one. There should be a backup CDI cluster in your car. To avoid being replaced, you should ask the wireman to hide the CDI cluster at a different location in the car, which is harder to steal.

2. Motorcycle suddenly died because spark plug gap is too large.

>> Fix: Remove the spark plug and lightly tap on the curved electrodes to narrow the distance between the two electrodes, about half the cup is medium, the distance should not be too close together, too close together is not good.

3. Too old spark plugs can cause shutdown.

>> Fix: The solution to this problem: It is recommended to change spark plugs after every 15,000 km, although feel good at running.

4. The plug of the spark plug (also known as the ignition wire) can not be ignited so the car shut down.

>> Fix: plugged in again. You should know, few people appreciate the importance of spark plugs. It’s a high tech product. The resistance of the material to make the spark plug is very high, the level of purity is also very special. The car that runs in the rain and dies is due in this detail.

5. The valve is blocked by the compressor.

Here’s one of the most expression you often encountered in car loses power while driving situation. You often encounter this situation when suddenly running at an unusually high speed. The soot in the combustion chamber fell into the mouth of the valve so it could not be closed, the machine died suddenly.

>> Test method: You remove the spark plug, switch off the machine to avoid electric shock, use a finger clamped spark plug holes, the machine several times, if the pressure is very weak is the correct disease.

>> Fix: You remove the spark plug and try to pour into the spark plug hole a few cc, plug the same spark plug and engine, it will explode immediately because the oil will throw out obstructions.

6. Gasoline is stuck due to water in the gasoline or because of the dirtiness of the car.

>> Phenomenon: car jerked jerk at a time to die.

>> Temporary Remedy: Take the gasoline out, remember the direction, use the mouth in the opposite direction to clear. Go home, remember to change gasoline.

7. The fuel tank and duct is blocked.

>> The same phenomenon as above, and when you remove the gas comb, no gas is released.

>> Fix: You get to the wheel by using compressed air from the tube to the gas tank, which can also be blown by mouth. Go home to remember the gas tank. No need to remove the gas tank, you use a straw to draw gas from the container to another container to the lower position outside. While the gasoline is flowing, pull the tube through the bottom of the bin so that the residue is drawn away. Then you filter petrol with cloth before re-entering into the tank. The duct, you use the velocity meter (meter speedometer) wire enters, swivel as indentation, the gasoline will pass.

8. The vent hole on the gas cap is clogged.

>> Phenomena as well.

>> How to overcome: you twist the lid of the gas tank, using needle pointed hole. Note, there are holes on the top, the bottom hole type, the hole is usually more or clogged.

By gathering some maintenance tips and doing timely diagnostics for your car, you can easily take care of your priced possession. Although, sometimes car loses power while driving, there is nothing to worry too much. Automotive experts can easily handle every kind of small or big car problem. In fact, with proper car service and maintenance, your car will not experience any such problem.

Have a safe driving!

1. Trymore Hofisi says

Usiful.

2. Zaccheaus y says

Good information and knowledge.

3. Anderson says

I have been driving a Mitsubishi pajero. After an oil change the car gain power than before the is looses power gradually and the oil becomes thin and smells petrol. As I continue the vehicle couldn’t do an small uphill. Later it show the oil lamp. I change the fuel pump and the same problem resurfaced again. The fuel pump was manual I installed an electronic one and faced the same problem again. What could be the cause of this mixup of fuel and oil?

1. George says

Could be a result of worn out piston rings.

2. Walubita says

Is your car diesel or petrol? I’ve had the same problem on both. For my diesel engine I found the cause to be swapping of two tiny air pipes under the hood. If during maintenance you swap the rubber rubbing pipes the car fails to climb even a small inclination.

Later had a similar problem with my new petrol car. The problem turned to be a malfunction of the gdi pump.

I can say this is your problem but that’s what I experienced. Good luck.

4. laban says

I have a Toyota porte(make year 2010) its losses power when climbing a hill completely, what might be the problem?

1. oketchrichard says

Spark plugs needs to be replaced

5. jack muguzu says

i was driving my Nissan Serena when it suddenly started emitting smoke from the gearbox and it felt very hot. The vehicle stopped moving and could only move on reverse gear.
    i waited for close to an hour and when i started the engine again and engaged the gear, the car moved but i could only do up to 80km/h. what may be the issue?

1. Fani Mandebvu says

The clutches are burnt. You may have used oil which is wrong for the gearbox. The gearbox uses cvt oil.

6. Boy says

I was driving a toyota prado 2days ago and experienced this problem. When I climb up a hill had to drive with 2 or even 1 at times. I wonder what might be the problem here?

7. nsubuga sula says

wire plugs also causes the car to loose power is they are damaged. so u change them also

8. Emmanuel Fulawulu says

So educative sir

9. Wellington says

Good article very educative.
    QUESTION: does a Toyota Axio 2006 model have a transmission oil dip stick? If it does, where is it located because I have tried to check but I have totally failed to locate it. Your response with pics or video will be much appreciated. Wellington

10. godfrey says

Are those the only reasons

11. steven says

My car loses power when accelerate what might be the problem my is Mazda demio

12. Earl says

For me it was my ignition coil. I also have a Demio. If it’s idling rough, loud when driving or struggles to go uphill then it’s definitely the ignition coil

13. Jose wabudget says

My vehicle fielder was changed the gear sample once I change the gear from p to r or r to D it has a strong sound it doesn’t move smoothly as before

14. Aholi says

My car losses power uphill on rough road but very much ok on tarmacked road.
    May also fail gain power on bumps up hill.
    What might be the cause?

15. Michael says

The other day I hit the gas to accelerate,the engine hesitated and accelerated at a very slow rate… Gave it too much gas it began to shake and the check engine light came on.the engine has the same issue while idling. I replaced the spark plugs and the problem still exists.any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

16. Keshwan says

17. Keshwan says

A very good advice.

18. Chishimba Godfrey says

What causes engine to vibrate eve after replacing engine mountain s

1. oketchrichard says

1. The engine vibration is coused by poor aliment of the propellar shaft universal joints
      2.shocked or not properly covered air cleaner cover.
      3.compression escape

19. Sharon says

Im driving polo tdi…it does not have power when i accelerate..wht migt b da cause

20. Chad says

I was driving my AMC Pacer and noticed chicks digging me when I crused through the Burger King Parking lot. I thought it was the rev of my engine but not sure. What might be the cause?

1. fsfasf says

dumb ass nothing

21. Ephraim says

Good driving posts

22. Ephraim says

I drive Toyota Vitz. Engine vibrates during Parking and idling. No problem with mountain and all other components. What could be wrong?

23. Rhys says

Hi I have a bmw 3 series diesel 58 plate , it’s just had the chain done and new fuel pump , but when excelerating it goes into lymph mode , any idea as why please ta

24. Mike says

i am from doing an engine service on a 2zr engine the only thing have not changed is the feul pump by my car jerks and loses power after a long distance could the pump be at faulty or what

25. Stanley White says

I have a nissan atlass KA20 engine when driving a short distant it jerks and stop firing. 4th piston has completely stoped firing.we have changed plus several times but problem persist. Repkaced the distributor but problem continues. Some are suggesting a faulty computer box . idont what is it

26. Mr Roy Alfred Hellier says

Very usefull infòrmation

27. Sardar says

I have a land cruiser 2 which is converted into petrol, after a drive of almost 2 hours the engine turns off and never starts again until the temperature of the car gets down. I have overhauled the entire engine but still facing same issue.

28. Lebogang says

I’m driving a mercedes Benz car A160 the ABS ESP light is on and it doesn’t supply power.

29. Rw says

My car looses power driving down the interstate it doent die it just slows down to where I have to pull over it doesn’t die I turn it off when I stop.. I sit for a couple minutes start and go for another 5 miles and does it again . What’s the problem ?

30. serah says

My car is having problem when driving. It looses power when accelated.It a petrol engine automatic taxi.brand marku..Please I need help urgently.

31. Mose nyabera says

Take your car for diagnosis, mine had almost similar problem where the fuel pump could get damaged every now and then, but after diagnosis it was noted that the car’s wiring system had been interfered with by a mechanic who had swapped wires.

32. barrie burns says

I have a 1999 honda crv it cruises along fantastic however soon as I come to a hill it looses power.

33. Wilfred M Japhet says

Thank you for this information.