Import Cars From Japan To Kenya – Important Rules And Regulations To Know

Kenya is a place where the demand of Japanese used cars increasing a lot. We can say that Japan is a primary source for importing used cars from Japan to Kenya. The reason that Kenyans look at Japanese market is this place provides the wide range of popular vehicles choices with high quality, reliability and affordable prices. To know how to import cars from Japan to Kenya, there are some rules and regulation you need to learn.

I. What To Know If You Want To Import Cars From Japan To Kenya?

importing cars to kenya
There are some rules and regulation for importing used car in Kenya which buyers must know to choose a suitable car

The rules are listed below:

• Not more than eight years old. The law is very strict about this, according to the Kenya Bureau of Standards KS 1515:2000. For example, for the year 2019, only vehicles manufactured in or after 2012 are allowed.
  • There is one port of entry for imported used cars from Japan or other countries, and the Port is Mombasa. It is where ships offload their cargo.
  • The imported vehicle must be Right-hand drive. Left-hand drive vehicles are not allowed for registration unless they are for a particular purpose.
  • The used vehicles must pass a safety and mechanical inspection.

II. Duty Payments For Importing Used Car From Japan To Kenya

import cars from Japan to Kenya
There is no option to avoid paying import tax costs in Kenya, but you should understand how the terms are used and the costs are calculated

When importing cars to Kenya, you will have to pay a lot of taxes. They are expensive, but there is no better options. So to make your buying process smooth, knowing and understanding the taxes below is very helpful.

The following taxes/duties are payable for motor vehicle imports based on customs value.

1. Import Duty (25%)

2. Excise Duty. This duty varies with vehicle category

• Private passenger vehicles of Diesel engine whose engine capacity exceeds 3000cc (30%)
  • Private passenger vehicles of petrol engine whose engine capacity exceeds 2500cc (30%)
  • All Other Vehicle Categories (20%)

3. Railway Development Levy (1.5%)

4. Import Declaration Fees (2%)

5. Value Added Tax (16%)

It sounds very complicated to understand the above formula. Now it is not a problem anymore, the CIF price for all used cars on Car From Japan website (a famous platform selling used cars for sale in Kenya) are calculated automatically, it will be more easy to find out a suitable car with your budget in a few seconds.

III. What Documents Are Required?

Apart from knowing duty payments, you do need to know required documents in order to make your importation procedure smooth. Importation Supporting documents should be attached including but not limited to (According to KRA):

1. Original Commercial Invoice

2. Original Bill of lading

3. Original Logbook from the country of importation that has been cancelled from the country of origin, as this will be required by National Transport and Safety Authority to give you an original Kenyan Log Book

4. Copy of your PIN certificate/ Copy of certificate of Incorporation (applicable to companies)

5. Pre-shipment inspection certificate. (certificate of road worthiness)

If you clear all these rules and regulation and you are ready to import cars from Japan to Kenya, Car From Japan is also ready to serve you with a huge stock of used cars at affordable prices.

1. japan partner says

Beware of fraudulent car dealers who take advantage of Kenya’s high demand for Japanese second hand cars. Don’t fall a victim. Lets fight fraud together.

2. Christine wanza says

I need nissan 14 passeger .show prices and shipping price

1. amin says

We’ll communicate with you through email. Thanks.

3. jira chigamba dalu says

Ineed toyota pickup only one 2009 good price pls thank you

1. Trang Tran says

Thank you for your interest in Car From Japan.

1. CYRUS says

Need a. Toyota Noah 4wd year 2010 color 3.5. Tell me the final price am based in kenya

4. simon says

I need a toyota corolla rumion of the year 2010 or newer show price and shipping price

1. Trang Tran says

Thank you for your interest in Car From Japan.

5. simon says

Am from kenya.i need a 2010 or newer toyota corolla rumion show cost and shipping price

1. Trang Tran says

Thank you for your interest in Car From Japan.

6. john lumuru mutaita says

I need to know where to start incase I need a car

1. Trang Tran says

Thank you for your interest in Car From Japan. If you are interested in the car, please send the inquiry to ask@carfromjapan.com or leave us your email address and phone number, our sales agent will contact with you.

7. Keiwua alfred says

I need a Toyota premio new model.Total charges.

1. Trang Tran says

Thank you for your interest in Car From Japan.

8. kibet says

i need a toyota dyna manual transmission please advice on the price including all the charges to kenya until it reaches me here

1. Trang Tran says

Thank you for your comment. If you are interested in the car, please send the inquiry to ask@carfromjapan.com or leave us your email address and phone number, our sales agent will contact with you.

9. Boniface k kithongo says

I need Toyota Hiace 14 seater of 2010 or newer please sent me the price&shipping cost.From Kenya

1. Trang Tran says

Thank you for your comment. If you are interested in the car, please send the inquiry to ask@carfromjapan.com, our sales agent will contact with you.

10. mydronechoice says

It’s going to be finish of mine day, however before finish I am reading this fantastic piece of writing to increase my experience.

1. Trang Tran says

We are happy to receive your comments. Please share with your friends so they can enjoy this article, too.

11. Pastor James says

How much do i require to get a van for the church from Japan

12. Abdirizak says

I Need Toyota Voxy 2010 Show and Shipping Price Up to Kenya

13. Ochieng' says

I need a used Toyota Wish. Kindly give me the total cost

14. Viliame Driu says

Looking 4 one Toyota 4×4 single cab and one twin cab, LN I66 +vigo..how much

1. Trang Tran says

Thank you for your comment. If you are interested in the car, please send the inquiry to ask@carfromjapan.com or leave your message on our Fb page, our sales agent will contact with you.
      Please follow this link >>> https://www.facebook.com/CarFromJapan.Official/

15. Jamila says

Hey there, You have done a fantastic job. I will certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends.
    I am confident they will be benefited from this website.

1. Trang Tran says

Arigatou. Thank you. Your comments encourage us a lot.

16. Baraka Apiyo says

Hi, I need a toyota Hiace 2010 and anything new, kindly share the total cost.

17. Bret says

I love what you guys are usually up too. Such clever work
    and coverage! Keep up the very good works guys I’ve included you guys to my personal blogroll.

1. Trang Tran says

Arigatou. Thank you. Your comments encourage us a lot.

18. Tony says

So if the vehicle price in japan is reading $1500 what is the average total expenses to incur when cleared? Please do not include the cost initial cost in japan

19. Jude says

I need to get car clearance paper for Japanese car I bought a car from Japan and the custom here ask for clearance paper that prove the car has no ticket violation or don’t owe money to anyone

20. priscah says

i need a toyota ist four wheel 2012 grey in colour

21. priscah says

please give the total price to kenya for the above

22. Charles musungu Mutuku says

In need of Toyota fielder kindly revert

23. Robert says

The rules are so great for an old car, it’s almost a new car. An ideal place for buying old cars, I would recommend to my friends about this. thanks for your information

24. Zadock Thomas says

Are Lamborghini allowed for import to Kenya?

25. Azra Ali says

Hi Philipp, So if the vehicle price in Japan is reading $1500 what is the average total expenses to incur when cleared? Please do not include the cost initial cost in Japan.

26. zephaniah says

Can I get one who can help me , just looking to see whether I can get to import a car to Kenya for my personal use.
    Please Send me personal, used cars for sale, but should be cars importable to Kenya.
    Thanks.